Unfortunately, Wireless in Wales Radio Museum will not be open on Monday the 28th July 2014. We plan to continue with our normal opening hours on the 4th August 2014. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused!
The Welsh radio museum
The Gwefr Heb Wifrau - Wireless in Wales, a charitable trust, is a small radio museum with a difference. With its emphasis on the history of Broadcasting in Wales, the influence of broadcasting on our national identity and the contribution of the Welsh to the development of wireless technology it is unique. We have an interesting collection of old radio equipment and books as well as educational and informative displays. The Museum is based around the collection of the late David Evan Jones and was opened just a few weeks after his death in 2008. In 2013 we were officially Accredited by CyMAL a Welsh Government Agency.
The museum is now open every Monday from 11am until 3pm during school term time and at other times by arrangement or as announced on this web site. Groups welcome, guided tours available.
Recently the Museum received a donation of a "His Masters Voice" vintage wind up gramophone which has no amplifier or loudspeaker, with just a sound box underneath the turntable. This produces a remarkably strong sound, but of rather poor quality.
In the 1930's a kit could be obtained to replace the sound box with an electronic pickup which would then be connected to the "Pick up" input of the domestic radio set. The museum has now acquired a "His Masters Voice" pick up number 11 and volume control device to illustrate the development of this technology at the time to give better sound quality.
During a recent visit to New York, this valve, a Radiotron UV-200 made by RCA, was purchased in a vintage radio shop for $20. It is a gas filled triode, made between August and September 1922 making it the oldest exhibit in the museum. The box is for an equivalent type made by "Cunningham" in the USA. When this type was first produced in 1920, it started the American Radio broadcasting era! The valve was used as a detector and the gas is Argon. Gas filled valves are not unknown, they have a high gain but are very non linear, hence this type was used as a detector, changing the radio wave back into audio. The valve comes complete with instructions!
Another type of gas filled valve is known as a Thyratron which is used as a high energy rectifier and controlled switch. In this case, the gas used is often Mercury vapour.
Signs of the times
New signs have recently been added to the outside of the Canolfan Iaith Clwyd building that houses the museum. The maroon/yellow colour sceme is very effective and will greatly enhance the visibility of our museum, especially when we open the doors on a regular basis. The colour scheme of the signs and, indeed, this website is based on the design of our museum booklet and internal display panels and are the work of PR Signs in Denbigh.